Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Simple Check or Money Holder



After I posted the gift card holder (and variations) a few people asked me if I could design a money or check holder. I have put together a simple one - this version is for Plantin Schoolbook only. I will try to get a George version up soon (you can try it yourself - you will need to design it in two pieces as it would be too large for the 6 x 12 mat). I may even get ambitious and do a scalloped edge version but that will take more time than I have right now!

The basic design is simple - I took a bank money holder apart and just worked out shapes and measurements to make something very comparable. The fun is in the papers you choose and the embellishments you add. I am showing a few simple ones here but you can do whatever you want to make these unique and personalized for the recipient.


\
The basic card stock cut can be embossed but the flap is longer than the standard cuttlebug folder. This photo shows the basic shape of the money holder



Here I have placed the money holder in a folder ready to emboss



The holder just fits through the width of the Cuttlebug by folding the flap over the folder



Here it is lined up with the dots for a second pass through the Cuttlebug



I tried to put it in only part way and then reverse but I ended up running the whole thing through again which resulted in a small unembossed "stripe" (the second pass erased the first embossing).



So I set about making it look like "I meant to do that" and decided to add some paper strips (you could also use ribbon) and a flower.



Before I added the strips I embossed a line at the sides of the unembossed area to set it off. You can see that more clearly in this photo of the completed holder. Just trim the ends of the paper strips even with the edge of the money holder after the paper is stuck down.



I had a spare stickled flower (decorated with "Stickles" glitter glue) on my work table so that found a new home on the cover. I used my Cropadile to punch a hole through the flower and the cover on the green "ribbon" strip and then I added a pink eyelet to hold it all together.



Here is another view of the finished money holder



These are fun cut from a favorite piece of patterned paper - you can use a 12 x 12 sheet or an 8 1/2 x 11 (be sure that the paper is put on the mat in the correct direction when using 8 1/2 x 11). This example uses Happy Birthday paper and by a lucky coincidence the words line up almost perfectly!



I also did a version to hold a check (with no oval cut out for the face of the President on the bill to show through). Here is a bold striped one showing the uncut inside



and here is the front view



I added this flower to the leftover oval from the orange folder and turned the edges up a bit for dimension as you can see in this close up. I attached it to the oval with an eyelet before sticking the oval to the cover.



These should be useful for many gift giving occasions - particularly if you prefer to give cash or a check instead of a gift card (and not limit the place where the gift can be spent).

This file is set up to cut the plain holder on page one. If you want a money holder with an oval opening, leave your mat in the machine, click on page two and cut the oval.

Check or Money Holder - Plantin Schoolbook

6 comments:

  1. Wow I Love this money holder It looks Fantastic...Thank You very much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cap....another great creation!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much!! I was just asked today to make a money wedding card for a friend. This will be so helpful to me. Thanks you so much for sharing.
    LeeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. As luck would have it, I was just asked if I could make a money holder! I saved your file the other day so thank you, thank you!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the download. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from the people who read my blog. I moderate all comments to keep spam off the blog without making you decode the squiggly letters so your comment may not appear immediately.