Saturday, January 10, 2009

Card Folder for 5 x 5 cards.



I decided to see if I could design a box folder for the slightly larger square cards that many people make and to still cut it from one sheet of 12 x 12 card stock. I adapted my first design and came up with this variation for square cards. I think this is the largest size you can make using only one piece of card stock (so if you make 6 x 6 cards you will need to adapt either this design or the A2 design - there are lots of ways to approach this and achieve a similar result.

Several people asked me why I didn't make this design as a .cut file. I thought it was less trouble to just make the cuts with a trimmer - there are only five quick cuts to make for the basic pieces and most of the trimming is done near the edges so you would need to hand cut in the "uncuttable zone" to finish the cuts. I also was determined to make the folder using only one sheet of paper and to use it as efficiently as possible!

But never fear - JenC from the Cricut Message Board let me know that she did make a .cut file based on my design and you can visit her blog (Jen's Blog) to ask her for it if you prefer to make this with the Expression. You will need to use two pieces of paper.

Here is the diagram for the folder to hold 5 x 5 cards and envelopes (remember you can enlarge this by clicking on the photo so you can see the details better). The design is very similar to the A2 folder so I just have a few photos to show the steps that are a bit different. Here is a LINK to the post with all the steps for the A2 folder in case you need to refer to it to finish your box folder.



Below you can see how the sheet of card stock is cut



And in this photo you can see the two pieces that won't be used off to the side.



Score the 2 1/2 x 5 1/2 pieces at 1/2 inch and 1 inch as shown below



Fold these two pieces along the score lines as shown below



Score the large piece of cardstock at 1 inch and 1 1/2 inches from the twelve inch edge as shown below.



Then turn the paper and score in the center of the 12 inch dimension at 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 inches as shown



Fold on all score lines and then cut away the sections above and below the spine as shown below



Apply adhesive to the first 1/2 inch scored area of the side flap



Adhere the cover to the flap aligning carefully (it seems easier to bring the large piece over the smaller one and match the edge to the scored line - sorry for the funny shadow in the photo!).



Another view showing the flaps connected to the body of the folder. Be sure that the "seam" is on the inside of the folder and that you have the right side of the textured cardstock on the outside!



Corner round in the same positions as for the A2 folder and the resulting unassembled folder will look like this.



Assemble in the same fashion as the A2 folder and continue with the finishing steps, adhering ribbon to the spine if desired for a closure.

The finished box folder will look like this and you can decorate it as much or as little as you like!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully detailed pictoral tutorial you have so generously shared with us! Thank you so much, Diane! I can't wait to try these out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the card folder/ box.Thank you so much for taking the time to share your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a great tutorial, thisis why I have left a Creativ Blogger award for you in my blog... go get girl... you deserve it! HUGS...SK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from the people who read my blog. I moderate all comments to keep spam off the blog without making you decode the squiggly letters so your comment may not appear immediately.