Saturday, July 25, 2009

Thank You card



Today I continued to work on reorganizing my craft space. The new craft island is working out wonderfully and I still have not completely filled it! (If you have somehow missed the story of the craft island here is a LINK to prior posts - you may want to start with the oldest one first).



While sorting through my accumulated treasures and relocating them to new homes, I found this set of embellishments from K & Co. I couldn't resist buying this when I found it on a visit to the Tuesday Morning store earlier this year (I think the price was 9 dollars for the entire set).



I liked the colors when I saw the embellishment set in the store and when I got home I discovered that I already had the matching set of paper. The name of the line is "Wild Saffron." I definitely have a weakness for K & Co. papers - they have some great designers and the paper is a nice heavy weight and usually two sided.



I decided to try making a card using just the designer paper and embellishments from the kit on a base of Bazzill cardstock. I chose this paper for the front of the card. I "fussy cut" a piece 5 inches x 3 3/4 inches from the lower right corner as seen in this photo.



In this photo, I have marked the area I used. I chose this area so I would have some "open space" to stamp a sentiment. I also wanted to use the dotted swirls as the "trail" of the butterfly embellishment.



I rounded the lower corners of the card and the paper and layered the piece of paper on my card base. I didn't care for the way the paper looked at the top of the card (sorry, I was so engrossed in the process that I forgot to take a "before" photo). I thought of adding a ribbon across the top but I couldn't find ribbon that I liked - so I decided to make a "paper ribbon."



I cut a strip from this paper (also from the Wild Saffron stack) and adhered it across the top of the card.



The paper strip wraps right around the top and is adhered to the inside of the card with the ends overlapping.



"Thank You" is stamped with brown ink in the open area between the dotted swirls.



The butterfly embellishment is positioned to make the dotted swirl look like the flight path of the butterfly.



I used two of the gems on the card front - one as a flower center and one at the intersection of loop of the darker flourish on the left. They add a bit of sparkle along with the glitter on the butterfly.



It was interesting to make a card with no Cricut cuts involved - not my usual method but I had fun doing it (and I do have a lot of these embellishments to use up!).

4 comments:

  1. Your card is just gorgeous! I have been wanting this paper for such a long time.

    The K&C set...OMG! Isn't that just the most beautiful butterfly.

    You are fantastic!

    KarenT (MB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful card

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love your cards with the wild saffron!! I picked up the same kit from TM! It's been sitting there, and I'm thinking...hmmm what do I do! LOL Now I have some ideas, Thanks!!!

    Lisa Sturgill

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever card! I really need to go browse around at Tues. Morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from the people who read my blog. I moderate all comments to keep spam off the blog without making you decode the squiggly letters so your comment may not appear immediately.