Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lovestruck by Candlelight


I finally completed an etching project!  Over a year ago I bought a large jar of the Armour-Etch cream (with a coupon of course) and put it in a "safe place."  Apparently I outsmarted myself because whenever I thought I'd like to try it out I would look for the jar - I couldn't remember where I put it.  Our house is full of logical places to stash things to keep them away from small children and it must still be in one of them.  I was not prepared to go out and invest in a second jar when I knew that I have one...somewhere....

Fortunately, Mandy, the owner of Scrappy -Go-Lucky in Australia, sent me some new cartridges and supplies for Design Team projects and one of the items in the box was a jar of etching cream.  I used it to etch a mirror tile with a design I created from hearts on the Love Struck cartridge.


Here is one more view of my project from above.  For all of the details, lots more photos and the .cut file (with a bit of an explanation about "Hide Selected Contour") please visit the Scrappy-Go-Lucky blog.


I want to thank all of you who have left such kind comments about my blog during my "Blogoversary Celebration."  I really appreciate any and all feedback about the types of projects you would like me to post.  Don't forget to leave a comment on any post this week to have a chance to receive one of the seven gifts (I usually do three, but seven is my other lucky number and I had four things that I brought back from Italy).  Here is a LINK to the post with the details about the gifts.


I was surprised to find out that there are some of you who read my blog and don't use Design Studio - my goal will be to get you to at least try it.  Remember you can download the trial version and learn all about the software and how it works before you buy it.  You can even cut designs that use only the cartridge(s) that are "native " to your Cricut (George for the Personal, Don Juan for the Create and Plantin Schoolbook and Accent Essentials for the Expression).

30 comments:

  1. I just want you to know that I also have a jar of the expensive etching cream in a safe place I can't find! How funny we are, huh? I did buy another one and so far, I know where it is! Thanks for the lovely idea-maybe I'll have time to try it this week.
    nancy sanders
    nansand@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. The etched candles are beautiful. I have been wanting to try etching but have not yet taken the plunge. I love to read your blogs about Design Studio. I am trying to use it more, but have not yet "designed" anything with it. But at least I am "playing" with it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm ready to try etching cream, but that's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! I've been meaning to try some etching and like you have put the etching cream somewhere and can't remember where. Will have to see if I can't locate it this weekend. :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who loves candles, I really appreciate the idea of etching on the mirror. Have never tried it, but this project makes me want to do it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful! thanks for sharing your creation with us. Now if I could find my etching cream, I might attempt this! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, thats a very nice piece of glass etching it is beautiful. You are a very talented lady Diane. And thanks for sharing everything with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very beautiful design. I love how much attention you pay to the details. Thank you so much for the giveaways, what beautiful items !

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL! Really wonderful. I love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy anniversary diane. i want to thank you for the last two yrs of your faithful service. i've had design studio for that amount of time, and what i havent' taught myself, i've learned from you. i look forward to your posts in my box and applaud your dedication and commitment to the art of designing. i appreciate the work you've put into these creations and some put me in a state of 'awe'. again, diane, thank you and happy anniversary!

    sincerely,
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. although you 'all' make it look so simple, i have yet to try this.
    will have to step forward and give it a shot.

    kat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your etching is gorgeous. I can relate, as I often buy things to use for later, then can't remember where I put them.Instead of attributing it to "age", I like to think there's just too much going on in my "creative" mind. LOL
    Beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful.
    I keep thinking I'm going to try etching cream on something, but can't think of what I'd like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That mirror tile is gorgeous! I think I will be trying that one!
    Carrie
    carriedan1@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful Diane (checked out your article at Scrappy-Go-Lucky...a lot of work but well worth the end result!!! TFS)

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diane
    Thank you for your time and creativity. I am the keeper of a Cricut machine and would dearly love to use it to its fullest. (my friend has no room to store it and she bought it so I keep it and use it)
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so beautiful....love it, thanks for sharing with us...you do great work as always....your blog rocks...

    chriswooten57
    mcwooten1999@carolina.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful job with the glas etching. I've been wanting to try but haven't quite pushed myself enough. And I can't try anything new until I master the inkscape with SCAL !!! Jen is trying to help, but haven't gotten it yet. After that I'll try the etching. Love your design also.

    Have a great week.
    bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, have Etching Cream sitting waiting for a project that I feel safe trying. How fortunate for you that another bottle came for you to use. I bet it took you awhile to complete that project. It looks time consuming & intricate. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This will great addition to my talbe-scape on V-Day!!! Thanks wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are absolutely beautiful! Enventually I will jump in and give the etching a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Diane, You did a great job on the etching. I still have not tried that but you have me thinking I might want to give it a try.
    By the way, I spend more time looking for things that I have put in a safe place, than I actually do working on the project!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That mirror is so pretty: great job and as always; thanks for the inpiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hoozah! I wanted some of the etching cream only to play with ... now I'm going to NEED to make a trivet or two!

    Thanks for the absolutely stunning idea!

    Tracy
    tocre8astar@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so pretty! You are so creative. Why don't you post any gypsy designs anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely GORGEOUS.....I had DS but lost it when my computer crashed....I have yet to call Provocraft to get it installed back....and I have some etching cream but haven't used it yet either......you are such an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful design! I do know where my etching cream is, but I haven't used mine either. I really want to try one of those mirrors.

    I don't use my DS either, but I love my gypsy. I wish they'd add that "hide selected contour" feature so I can re-create some of those great designs you do.

    ReplyDelete
  28. love this project, bet you will find that big jar of etching cream now...lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from the people who read my blog. I moderate all comments to keep spam off the blog without making you decode the squiggly letters so your comment may not appear immediately.